Washougal Historic Figures Burials

Jacob Gibbons

A picture containing text, old, vintage

Description automatically generatedThe earliest recorded grave belongs to Jacob Gibbons (1837-1858), located in Section A, Lot 31. Joseph Gibbons (1797 – 1874), Section A, Lot 31 and his family were the second permanent settlers to the new Washougal district. He traveled the Oregon trail from Illinois in the Spring of 1847. Joseph found a site at the mouth of a creek, known now as Gibbons Creek. Gibbons donated land for a school, which is now Orchard Hills Golf and Country Club. Gibbons severed on the first grand jury to convene in Clark County, on November 17, 1852.

Richard Ough and Betsy Ough

Richard Ough (1798 -1884) and Betsy Ough, also known as Princess White Wing (1818 – 1911) are among Washougal’s earliest settlers. Betsy wanted to live near the Washougal River, so Richard built a log cabin there in 1849, and in 1853, he applied for a Donation Land Claim. The couple went on to sell 20 acres of the claim to Joe Durgan and Lewis Love to plot out the new City. 

Charles “CW” Cottrell 

Charles “CW” Cottrell (1859-1944), Section B, Lot 187, settled in Washougal in 1888 as a blacksmith, and built a sawmill on Mount Pleasant. In 1910 he and his son Glen brought power to Washougal with their first dam and plant near the bridge at 17th Street; they built three more dams on the Washougal River. Cottrell’s Western Power & Light Company served homes and businesses in Washougal and parts of Camas. He later sold the company to North West Electric Company.